Oracle PL-SQL Programming
The PL/SQL programming language was developed by Oracle Corporation in the late 1980s as procedural extension language for SQL and the Oracle relational database. Following are certain notable facts about PL/SQL −
· PL/SQL is a completely portable, high-performance transaction-processing language.
· PL/SQL provides a built-in, interpreted and OS independent programming environment.
· PL/SQL can also directly be called from the command-line SQL*Plus interface.
· Direct call can also be made from external programming language calls to database.
· PL/SQL's general syntax is based on that of ADA and Pascal programming language.
· Apart from Oracle, PL/SQL is available in TimesTen in-memory database and IBM DB2.
Features and Advantages of PL/SQL
PL/SQL has the following advantages −
· PL/SQL allows sending an entire block of statements to the database at one time. This reduces network traffic and provides high performance for the applications.
· PL/SQL gives high productivity to programmers as it can query, transform, and update data in a database.
· PL/SQL saves time on design and debugging by strong features, such as exception handling, encapsulation, data hiding, and object-oriented data types.
· Applications written in PL/SQL are fully portable.
· PL/SQL provides high security level.
· PL/SQL provides access to predefined SQL packages.
· PL/SQL provides support for Object-Oriented Programming.
· PL/SQL provides support for developing Web Applications and Server Pages.